Friday, October 15, 2010

My First Project

In the beginning, probably the most difficult part of crocheting is keeping the sides straight. I wish I had a picture to show because the sides of my first shot at crochet was REALLY messy. I didn't give up though, which was very surprising to me since I usually get frustrated quickly.

My First Scarf
Once I got the single crochet stitch down and my sides were nice and straight(er) I moved on to double crochet. As I said in my last post, the instructions that were included with my first crochet hook were useless so I had to ask my Aunt to show me how. In the following weeks she gave me several lessons on basic crochet stitches which helped me to create this scarf.

It's not perfect but I'm proud of it. The most important part I've learned about keeping the sides straight is to create enough chain stitches at the end of each row when turning and not make them too loose or too tight.

Lucy's First Handmade Scarf
I'm pretty sure that this project took two balls of Lily Sugar 'n Cream yarn that I bought for cheap at Wal-Mart but since I used a lot of it making mistakes and getting it knotted up I only had enough to make a scarf just long enough to look good on Lucy.

No comments:

Post a Comment